Last night I declared a “night off from everything” for me and Jonno. That included any form of exercise, any kind of being responsible, and anything work-related. I put the kaibosh on and we had to actually interact with each other, face to face. Well, at least for a few minutes anyway.
What does one do with a whole evening in which to engage with their partner??
Our answer: eat dinner while watching a superhero movie and scoffing two bottles of tasty red wine.
What? We were thirsty!
A model of relationship communication and how to spend quality time together, we are.
Geek girl tangent: Can I just say that Joss Whedon really should direct all the superhero movies from now on? I mean, have you seen The Avengers?! For shiz, it’s great for comic books nerds and newbies alike because JW really knows how to strike the balance between interesting plot lines and subplot, a little implied but not in-your-face romance, lots of humour, and relevant political issues. I’ve even mended my feud with Scarlett Johansson because Joss managed to make her into an ass-kicking, wrong-righting, smart as hell but under the radar superhero. In case you were wondering, ScarJo and I had a falling out after she divorced Ryan Reynolds. Imagine what kind of superhero power couple they would have made if they stayed together – the Green Lantern and the Black Widow. Rawr!!
Back to veggies delicately resting under blankets of sauce and cheese and bread crumbs. Jonno swears that it is the bread crumbs that really make this dish, and I can’t say he’s wrong.
And who wouldn’t love to sleep under a blanket made out of cheese?
On second thought, that sounds stinky, maybe not.
Apologies for the lack of photos, but just imagine roasted eggplant and zucchini covered in rich red sauce and lovingly dusted with melted cheese. Nom.
Eggplant & Zucchini Parmesian
Makes enough for 4 dinners
- Vegetable or olive oil
- One medium-large eggplant
- One medium-large zucchini, or two small zucchini
- 1 c. breadcrumbs
- 1 c. grated Parmesian cheese
- 1 jar prepared tomato-based pasta sauce
- 1 c. mozzarella or tasty cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F.
- In a decent-sized skillet or fry pan, pour enough oil to cover the bottom and turn on medium heat.
- Slice eggplant and zucchini into 1cm rounds. Dredge the veggies by coating in flour on all sides.
- Once the oil is hot (fling a drop of water into it and it should sizzle), fry veg slices in batches til golden on each side.
- Shake excess oil off and remove to a 9x9” baking dish, arranging eggplant on the bottom layer and zucchini on top.
- Sprinkle half the breadcrumbs over the veggies.
- Pour contents of tomato pasta sauce over the top.
- Top with remaining breadcrumbs and allthecheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until you think the top is sufficiently golden and bubbly.
- Boil up a packet of fettucine pasta and serve alongside the E&P Parm and some garlic bread. And a nice red wine.
Proceed to GO and collect $200. I wish.