|This box of fruit has been sitting, lurking, waiting for me to do something with it.|
|Two things that have nothing to do with the ex-boyfriend: strawberry-covered pavlova and MY apple cake. Yesssss.|
Then I tweaked it a little, just to give it that something extra, and it actually provoked emails of thanks from the workmates today. I’m not sure where that ranks of the Scale of Baking Gratitude and Glory, but I’ll take it! Et voila, a new go-to recipe whenever there are too many apples staring me in the face and making hostile threats of biological warfare.
|Apple cake is a good reason to stop pottering! (Those are my upside-down pots too, exciting!)|
Time: 1 hour
- 3 cups apples (3 large, 5 small), diced
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 whole large eggs or 4 whole small eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- icing sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F. Grease and line a springform pan.
- Mix oil, eggs and vanilla in large bowl. Add sugars and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, salt and baking soda together. Add to wet ingredients and throughly incorporate.
- Fold in apples and nuts.
- Pour batter in pan and cover with aluminum foil as it may spatter over the edge. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes - a skewer should come out clean.
- Garnish with sifter icing sugar over the top.