Tuesday, September 13, 2011

On-the-fly Slow-Cooker Rump Steak

I did another Experiment, but this time out of necessity.  We had beef and no desire to traipse out to the store to buy ingredients for any of the beef recipes I have, so I bit the bullet and gave it the good old college try.
After all of my recent failures, I have had a food win!  I may have had to advise Jonno to have a backup in mind in case it wasn’t edible, but it was deelishus!!!  I also hedged my bets and made sides that I knew would be good just in case of Total Failure – baked kumara and peas. 
It ain't pretty, but oh man was it tasty.  Yum yum, fall apart beefy tasty.  Easy to make, chuck in the slow-cooker, leave it til it falls apart!
Next time I would serve this with mashed potatoes and probably chuck some carrots in the slow-cooker too.  And maybe onions.  Whatever I have around really, because that's how this meal came into being - I used anything I could find that I thought might work with beef.
On-the-fly Slow-Cooker Beef
Ingredients:
  • a rump steak, whatever size you want
  • 1 tin tomato puree
  • 1 packet Maggi Sweet & Sour sauce mix
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup golden syrup
  • salt & pepper
Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients up in a bowl.
  2. Trim any excess fat off the rump steak and dredge in flour.
  3. Beef and sauce into slow cooker on high for 4-5 hours, or slow for 8-10 should do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, so please feel free to leave comments and love!